Wednesday, August 1, 2012

June 20, 2012 - Canmore, AL - Motel

The West Entrance to Glacier NP

Paused Along Going-To-The-Sun Road
In Full Rain Gear

We found an awesome KOA just outside Glacier NP.  We had some rain and cold temps today.  We kept our raingear on all day.  We found out when stopping at the visitors center at  West Glacier, the Going-To-The-Sun Road just opened FOR THE SEASON yesterday at noon.  We were shocked that it was this late.  After talking to some rangers, they said it was about two weeks early.  WHAT!!!  You mean to tell me that the road doesn’t open until late June?  Wow…We were hesitant about the run on this road.

View of the Clouds and Mountains on Going-To-The-Sun Road
Stream From Snowmelt Crossing the Road Ahead of Us
Between the weather, traffic, bikes with trailers and anything else that could influence the ride, we just wanted to get it over with.  Fortunately, everyone was going slow and steady.  As we climbed the weather became cooler, and more snow appeared.  The rivers and streams are nearly overflowing their banks.  The snowmelt and rain has pushed them to their limits.  At one point, the edge of one river was almost even with the road.  We hit construction about 2/3 of the way up.  We had a 15 minute wait.  The construction was gooey mud and gravel.  We pushed on and kept a cool head. 

A Little Snow on the Walkway at Logan Pass - Glacier NP
We got to Logan Pass and pulled into the visitor center.  The snow was incredible.  One of the pathways going up the observation area had a tunnel of snow maybe 15 feet high.  Pictures will prove what I say.  We took many pictures, and took it easy on the way down.  It took us about 3 hours to do a 60 mile drive, but it was worth it. 

We had lunch outside the park and continued on to Calgary.  Hoping to reach Canmore, about 60 miles west of Calgary.  We made it and found no campgrounds with showers, which we sorely needed.  We decided to motel it tonight and eat out.  Our cooking is beginning to get old.  The weather is very good and temp in the 70’s, with clearing tomorrow and same temps.  We will go on to Banff, then north on the Icefields Parkway.  We finally decided to fill up our auxiliary gas tanks.  We are looking forward to good weather, good roads and Alaska – maybe three days away.

No comments:

Post a Comment